Dennis van Poppel
Sports Physical Therapist
Dennis van Poppel qualified as a movement scientist from University of Maastricht in 2003, manual therapist at SOMT (2007) and physical therapist from Avans University of physiotherapy in 2001. Educated as Sports Physical Therapist from NPI Papendal Arnhem.
After several years work in various sports Dennis became physical therapist of the Dutch National Canoe team. He specialized himself in diagnostics and rehabilitation of sports injuries, knee- and shoulder rehabilitation. Dennis combines his job as rehabilitation trainer with a PhD position (thesis about running related injuries), research position and teacher at the Avans University and Progress Educations. He is co-owner of one of the largest rehabilitation centers in the south of the Netherlands called PECE zorg.
1991 – 1997 : Atheneum; Augustinianum, Eindhoven
1997 – 2001 : Physical Therapy; University Brabant, Breda. Thesis: “ACL reconstruction, reinnervation and revascularization”
2001 – 2003 : Sports Physical Therapy; International Academie of Sports Science (IAS), Gennep.
2001 – 2003 : Movement Sciences; Maastricht University. Thesis: “A new walking program for claudicants”
2007 : Manual Therapy: SOMT Amersfoort
2007 – 2008 : Pedagogic and Educational skill; PDV education.
2009 – 2010 : Upgrade Sports Physical Therapy
23-26 March 2015 : HUG Cressy Santé Swiss Olympic Medical Center Geneva Switzerland (Suzanne Gard)
1-3 March 2015 : Shoulder Unit Royal National Orthopedic Hospital London (Anju Jaggi en Andre Le Leu)
Courses / symposia
Eindhoven: 28-29 november 2015, VSG-congres
Milan: 16-19 september 2015, Secec/EUSSER-congres
Ermelo: 28-29 november 2014, VSG-congres
Istanbul: 18-20 september 2014, SECEC/EUSSER
Manchester: 2-3 oktober 2013, Masterclass Scapula (B. Kibler, T. Uhl)
Gent: 29 maart 2013, Rehabilitation in overhead Athletes, EUSSER
London: 6 oktober 2012, The rotator cuff chalenge, EUSSER
Brussels: 20 september 2012, low back pain, ECT
Epidemiologic research 2011: Rolduc Kerkrade by EPIDM.
Kinetic Control 2009
Maastricht: “Physiotherapy on the move” at MECC Maastricht December 2003.
8 november 2014: Royal National Athletic Union, runners congress
15 november 2013: running injuries KNGF congress
28 februari 2013: TSA/RTSA symposium Viasana
29 november 2012: VSG congress Ermelo
2 april 2012: symposium shoulder evidence or practice, Avans University Breda
1 maart 2012: symposium TSA, Amphia Ziekenhuis Breda
12 november 2011: Royal National Athletic Union, runners congress
- Is there a correlation between half marathon and marathon injuries? And could intervaltraining hold the key to reducing injury risk? George F Winter, Dennis van Poppel. Runningfitnessmag.com july 2015 p.66
- Clinical reasoning in physical therapy. J.H.A.M. Mutsaers en D.van Poppel. Physios; year 7; number 2, june 2015
- Risk factors for lower extremity injuries among half marathon and marathon runners of the Lage Landen Marathon Eindhoven 2012: A prospective cohort study in the Netherlands. van Poppel D, de Koning J, Verhagen AP, Scholten-Peeters GG. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2015 Feb 28. doi: 10.1111/sms.12424
- Runners with injuries. Drs. Dennis van Poppel.
- Fysiopraxis; april 2014, pagina 44-45.
- Kinetic chain concepts in PFPS. D.van Poppel and J.H.A.M. Mutsaers. Physios; year 6; nummer 1, maart 2014, pag 30-36.
- Prevalence, incidence and course of lower extremity injuries in runners during a 12 months follow up period. Dennis van Poppel MSc, Gwendolijne Scholten-Peeters PhD, Marienke van Middelkoop PhD, Arianne P. Verhagen PhD. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. EPUB 2013
- Cryotherapy best? A review; the effect of cryotherapy on circulation and oedema in acute soft tissue injuries. D. van Poppel, A.J.A. Koke.
- Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Fysiotherapie, 2007; 117 volume 2, pagina 54-58.
- Several publications in papers and magazines like runnersplaza
2013-2015 Dutch National Sports Physical Therapist
2011 Price for best poster (running related injuries) on MECC congress
2015 – today: Co-founder of PECE care, PECE health and Knee rehabilitation Center. www.pece-zorg.nl, www.pece-health.nl
2014 – today: Founder of Shoulder Rehabilitation Center Eindhoven. www.schouderexpertisecentrum.nl.
2009 – today: PhD trajec; Risk factors for running related injuries.
2008 – today: Teacher master Sports Physical Therapy Avans+ and NPI, masterclass 4.
2007 – today: Founder of Progress Educations. Development and teaching of courses and modules for physical therapists, manual therapists and sports physical therapists. www.progress-educations.nl
2006 – today: Teacher Physical Therapy, Avans University Breda
2006 – today: Physical therapist of Dutch National Canoe team
2003 – 2014: Manual therapist, Sports physical therapist and movement scientist at Fysiotherapie Gestel Eindhoven.
2013 – today: Founder of combined consultations for shoulder patients in hospital (MMC) to improve quality of healthcare.
2013 – today: Member focusgroup NPI/TNO development new ACL rehab protocol
2011 – today: Member EUSSER and SSNB
2007 – today: Member Olympisch Network Brabant
2006 – 2012: Member shoulder rehabgroup Eindhoven
Sports Physical Therapy
Prevention and Treatment of sports related injuries. Performance training and rehabilitation of several National and International athletes.
Shoulder and Knee diagnostics & rehabilitation; tennis, judo, handball, soccer, canoe, running rehabilitation